Saturday, November 19, 2011

Banana Chocolate Chip Breakfast Cake

Banana bread is an amazing invention. Whoever discovered that over ripe bananas could be mashed up and added to a quick bread batter is my hero. I am a huge banana fan, and go through at least half a dozen bananas a week. They are cheap, healthy and delicious. However, it can be a guessing game at the grocery store when confronted with a mountain of bananas at varying stages of ripeness; how quickly will the green bananas ripen, will I want a banana tomorrow, or in two days or tonight? I've become quite good at picking out the right number of bananas at the correct ripeness in order to have a good supply for at least a couple days. But there are still the times when I don't quite calculate correctly. The wonderful thing about bananas is that this is okay. In fact, sometimes it is preferable.



Banana bread is one of the most wonderful things to bake. It's quick, easy and delicious, and it can also be healthy at times. My personal favorite banana bread recipe is for Banana Oat Bread. However, a few months ago I was looking for something a little different. I wanted to bake something that reminded me of going out for breakfast at a coffee shop (one of my favorite things to do). They always seem to have some type of breakfast cake or bread that is easy to pick up and eat out of hand, something not too heavy and not overly sweet. I wanted to make something like that. So when I found this recipe online I knew I had to try it. I'm glad I did because it fit the bill perfectly.

This cake is super moist and light. It has that kind of spongy texture that always seems to accompany bread that is made with yogurt. The bananas add their characteristic subtle flavor and moisture which is enhanced by the addition of mini chocolate chips. The whole thing just works together so well. Now I can just brew up some coffee, close my eyes and take a bite, fooling myself into thinking that I'm at the coffee shop when I haven't even left my own kitchen.


My banana puree, an immersion blender does
a wonderful job

You need an egg and an egg white, save the
beautiful yolk for some scrambled eggs 

All the wet ingredients ready 
to be mixed

The wet, the dry and the chocolate

Mmmm, the best part

Stir it all together until just combined, 
be sure to not over mix

Pour into your greased pan

Baked

Chocolate and banana goodness!

Cut it up and enjoy for breakfast with a cup 
of coffee or hot chocolate




Banana Breakfast Cake
From David Lebovitz
Ingredients
  • 1½ cups (210 g) flour 
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder 
  • ½ teaspoon baking soda 
  • ½ teaspoon salt 
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon 
  • 1 teaspoon espresso powder (optional)
  • ¾ cup (150 g) sugar 
  • 2 tablespoons (55 g) melted butter 
  • 1 large egg white 
  • 1 large egg
  • 1 cup banana puree, made from about 2 very ripe medium-sized bananas 
  • ½ cup sour cream (I used Greek yogurt, 130 g)
  • ½ teaspoon vanilla extract 
  • 1/3 cup (60 g) mini chocolate chips 
Directions

Sift together in a medium bowl the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and espresso powder, if using. Mix in the sugar.

In a large bowl, mix together the butter, egg white, egg, banana puree, sour cream, and vanilla.

Make a well in the center of the flour mixture and stir in the wet ingredients with a spatula until almost mixed. Add in the chocolate chips or cocoa nibs and stir until just combined, but don’t overstir: stop when any traces of flour disappear.

Scrape the mixture into a prepared 9-inch square pan and bake for 35-38 minutes at 350 degrees, or until the center feels lightly-springy and just done. Cool on a baking rack.

4 comments:

  1. I love banana bread as well. And I love how you cut it in wedges!
    I actually keep a stash of overripe bananas in my freezer so I can make banana bread whenever I want. No more waiting for the ones on the counter to turn brown. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Megan, I also try to keep a stash of bananas in the fridge, but sometimes I just eat them too fast!
    I like cutting breakfast breads into wedges, I think it makes them more fun to eat!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This cake looks incredible, I love the combo of chocolate and banana! I've been looking for something like this to make for brunch tomorrow -- thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do you add any liquid to the bananas when making the banana puree?

    ReplyDelete