Saturday, July 14, 2012

Oven S'mores

It's been a little while since I've posted, but that is because I've been having fun vacationing. After spending some time up in Traverse City, I had a week off and then it was off to Grand Haven for a week of camping. My family and I have been doing this for about 15 years now, and it has been a great tradition. I love having nothing to do for a week except read a good book, lay on the beach, and eat good food over a campfire. With camping still on my mind, I thought I'd share these homemade oven s'mores. They're more of an idea than an actual recipe, but regardless, they are delicious. If you don't have the ability, or the time, or the inclination to start a fire, but you are still craving a good ole s'more, these will definitely hit the spot.


I've always liked eating s'mores while camping, but I have to admit that they have never been my favorite. The only reason I would make them is because they are fun to make and eat, and it's just what you do when camping. After discovering the joy that is a homemade graham crackers however, my thoughts about s'mores changed. I knew that they would make the absolute best s'mores ever, and I was sure right. Even when just using an oven instead of a campfire, these s'mores were lightyears ahead of their store-bought counterparts.

All you have to do for these mind blowing s'mores is to lay out 2 graham crackers upside down on a cookie sheet. Top one of them with a bit of marshmallow, and the other with some chocolate chips. Stick them under the broiler for a few minutes until the marshmallows poof up and turn a beautiful caramel color. Make sure to keep an eye on them when they are in the oven, because marshmallows can go up in flames rather quickly.

As soon as they come out of the oven, take both graham crackers and smoosh them together nice and tightly. Then just set them back on the cookie sheet and let them cool a bit. As they cool they will stick together nicely and make it easy to transport and eat these little yummies. At this point the s'mores are ready to eat. But I went a step further of course and decided to add a bit more chocolate. I just melted down some chocolate chips and dipped one end of each s'more in the chocolate. This extra bit of chocolate was probably my favorite part of the whole thing, I would highly recommend this extra step.

This is all there is too it, nothing too difficult. If you don't have any homemade graham crackers, store bought would also work fine. These little desserts are just a fun way to make sure you get your sugar for the day. Cute and also delicious.

And don't worry, when camping this week I got to make a s'more over the campfire on a homemade graham cracker. It was... To. Die. For. I want to go back to Grand Haven just for the s'mores!

Lay everything out

Ready for the oven

Mmmm...

Toasty!

Squeeze it all together 

And top it all off with some extra chocolate

Grab a napkin and dig in!

No comments:

Post a Comment