Monday, June 3, 2013

Roasted Sweet Potato and Chickpea Spinach Salad

The farmers markets are finally open here in Michigan, and I'm loving it! I'm making it a weekly tradition to head into Grand Rapids every Saturday morning and stock up on a basket-full of fresh veggies and, hopefully soon, fruit. The past couple of weeks what I've been most excited about has been the fresh greens, romaine, spinach, watercress, green leaf and Bibb lettuce, it has been so wonderful! My Saturday afternoon lunches have been filled with salads in the last couple of weeks because of this. Usually I just chop up a few vegetables, maybe boil and egg or pull some ham out of the fridge, but sometimes I feel a little more adventurous. I made this salad on one of my more adventurous days. It takes a few extra minutes but it's totally worth it. The combination is wonderful (even when you are sadly, out of goat cheese!).


I love the combination of the lightly spiced sweet potato mixed with the creamy and hearty chickpeas. The roasted onions add additional sweetness which I always love. A couple of handfuls of spinach and you have a meal. Like I said, I was out of goat cheese, but I know it would have been an amazing addition to this already delicious salad, elevating it to new heights! But either way, this is a great spring salad when you are looking for something to really sink your teeth into. 




Roasted Sweet Potato and Chickpea Spinach Salad
Adapted From Naturally Ella
Ingredients
  • 1 medium sweet potato
  • ½ medium onion
  • 2 tablespoons garam masala
  • 1-2 tablespoons olive oil
  • Juice from ½ lemon
  • ¼ cup minced parsley
  • 4 ounces goat cheese
  • 1 cup chickpeas 
  • 3-4 handfuls spinach
Instructions
Preheat oven to 375˚. Cut sweet potatoes into ¼” cubes and dice onion into large chunks. In a roasting dish, combine sweet potatoes, onions, about 1 tablespoons of the olive oil, and garam masala.  Toss together until well coated. Roast until sweet potatoes are tender, 20-30 minutes.

Once sweet potatoes are done, place in a large bowl. Add spinach, goat cheese, chickpeas, and minced parsley.

Squeeze lemon juice and drizzle remaining olive oil on top. Toss together until well blended. Taste and add more lemon juice/olive oil if needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment