Saturday, June 4, 2011

Maple Almond Granola

I love granola.What's not to love about crunchy, chewy oat clusters, slightly sweetened and baked to golden brown perfection. In the last year I've turned to making my own granola. Not only is it cheaper, it's better than anything you'll get at the grocery store, and you can customize it to fit your own tastes. It can also be healthier depending on what recipe you use. I know there are about a gazillion granola recipes out there but this is the one I've been using for a while now, it is really delicious. Maybe someday I'll try so different granola recipes, but for now I'm happy with this, and I bet you will be too. Give it a try!


 Golden brown deliciousness

 Toasting the oats

 Oats and liquid sweetener, ready to be 
combined

 Throw in whatever floats your boat, 
this time I did almonds and sunflower seeds

Mix it all up together

 Throw on a cookie sheet and bake to perfection

Yum!

Note: My granola turns out different every time. It's so easy to switch up ingredients, so just through in whatever you like. If you want to add dried fruit, bake the granola for 30 minutes at 275 and then throw in the fruit for the last 15 minutes of baking. It is also super easy to double, or triple this recipe, just make sure you use two pans if doubling.


Maple Almond Granola
adapted from USA Weekend
Ingredients
  • 2 cups old-fashioned oats
  • 1/2 cup wheat germ
  • 2 Tbs. dark brown sugar
  • 1/3 c sliced almonds 
  • 1/4 tsp. salt
  • 1/4 cup maple syrup 
  • 3 Tbs vegetable oil 
  • 2 Tbs water 
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
Directions
Place oats on a cookie sheet or in a 9x13 inch pan and toast them for 8-10 minutes at 350 degrees. Reduce heat to 275 degrees.

Mix the oats, wheat germ, sugar and salt as well as any extra ingredients in a large bowl.

In a small saucepan bring syrup, oil, water, vanilla and cinnamon to a simmer over low heat.

Drizzle syrup mixture over oat mixture and stir so combine. Pour mixture into a lightly greased 9x13 inch pan. Use your hands to squeeze the mixture into small clumps. Bake for 45 minutes at 275 degrees, stirring two or three times.

2 comments:

  1. I made this granola this week and it turned out great! When I was out of granola, I knew where to turn for a recipe! ;) I usually have most of these ingredients at home too, so it will be one I'll use again! Thanks!
    ~Allison

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I always have the ingredients too and it is so easy to make! So much cheaper than anything store bought too!

      Delete