Friday, September 23, 2011

Couscous Salad with Chicken, Feta and Tomatoes

It's the first day of fall, and I can definitely tell. It's rainy and cold, cozy inside but nasty outside. Watching summer slip away always makes me sad. Fall is beautiful, but it also means that summer is over, and a long, cold winter is coming soon. I'm not quite done with summer yet so last week I threw together a simple couscous salad with fresh vegetables and herbs, topped it with grilled chicken, delicious. The inspiration for this salad comes from my cousin Kelly, who made a similar salad for dinner one night out on Lake Michigan. I fell in love with this dish full of my favorite things.  A bowl of garlicky couscous is the perfect place to throw some pungent red onion, salty feta and sweet grape tomatoes. Top it with some slightly charred chicken breast and you have a meal. The flavors complement each other perfectly, and the colors and textures dance before your eyes. It was the perfect dish to make while trying to hold on to the last few days of summer.


Beautiful and delicious, the perfect combination
 Getting everything ready to go

 I marinated some chicken for a few hours to 
infuse it with flavor and juiciness

 Grab a bowl of beautiful grape tomatoes

 And don't skimp on the fresh basil 

 My favorite part!

 Gotta have some garlic

 The couscous, ready to go

 Perfectly grilled chicken

 Slice it up

 Combine everything in a big bowl

And serve topped with the chicken


Recipe
I didn't really follow a recipe for this meal. I just sautéed up some garlic and threw it in with the couscous  and water. When that was done I added tomatoes, basil, feta and onion to taste. Top it with chicken marinated  in some Greek marinade, sprinkle with a little lemon juice and you're set. If desired, you can add a nice, light vinaigrette on top. Then enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment