Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Olive Oil Tart Crust

I eat a lot of eggs. Not only are they cheap, but they are delicious and healthy, a great triad! I eat a lot of scrambled eggs and egg sandwiches, both of which I love, however, sometimes I just want to try something new. The last time I was home from school I decided to "borrow" my mom's tart pan. Since she bought it last summer at my urging, and has never used it herself, I didn't feel too bad about it. I've been wanting to make quiche, and now I finally have the pan to do it with.

Now, I love a good buttery tart crust, flaky and delicious, but sometimes I just don't want to deal with the hassle of making one, so when I saw this recipe on Chocolate and Zucchini it sounded perfect for a quick quiche dinner. This dough came together in just minutes, and because it doesn't used chilled butter there was no need to ensure that it stayed cold. I just had to roll it out, put in in the pan, chill it for 30 minutes or so, and then pop it in the oven.

After the crust was baked, I just threw a bunch of stuff on top of it, it doesn't really matter what, I just used what I had in the fridge (sausage, spinach, cheese, onion etc). You can use whatever filling you want, that's what I love about eggs, they are so versatile. Finally I covered it all with a mixture of eggs and milk. Just pop it  in the oven for about 25 minutes and you have yourself a delicious dinner. Give it a try!

 The blank canvas

 One picture prior, just after rolling it out

Yummy fillings: thyme, onions, sausage, spinach, cheese (Parmesan and Pecorino)

Baked to perfection

Slice and eat



Recipe
From Chocolate and Zucchini 
Ingredients
  • 250 grams (8.8 ounces) light whole wheat flour, or a 50/50 mix of all-purpose and whole wheat flour
  • 1 teaspoon fine sea salt 
  • 60 ml (1/4 cup) olive oil (or oil of your choice)
  • 120 ml (1/2 cup) cold water 
  • 1 teaspoon dried herbs (optional)

Makes enough to line a 28- to 30-cm (11- to 12-inch) tart pan.

Combine the flour, salt, and herbs (if using) in a medium mixing bowl. Add the oil and mix it in with a fork. Add the water, mix with the fork until it is absorbed, then knead lightly until the dough comes together into a ball.

Turn the dough out on a lightly floured work surface. Sprinkle a little flour on the ball of dough and on the rolling pin, and roll the dough out into a circle large enough to fit your tart pan. The trick is to do this in quick, assertive gestures  to avoid overworking the dough.

Transfer the dough carefully into a lightly greased tart pan and line it neatly. Trim the excess dough, and place the pan in the fridge for 30 minutes to rest.

Blind bake the crust for 15 minutes at 400 degrees.


Quiche Filling

  • 1 c milk
  • 3 eggs
  • Salt
  • Pepper
  • Choice of fillings

Place choice of filling in pie crust. Whisk together milk, eggs, salt and pepper. Pour mixture into crust, over filling. Bake for 25 minutes at 400 degrees. Eat warm or at room temperature.
 
 

7 comments:

  1. Thank you! I just tried your crust and I loved it. So much tastier, healthier and sturdier than a butter-based crust.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great! I'm glad you liked it. It is delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! I have just prepared it and the crust is amazing! Delicious!!!! Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Trying this recipe. Thanks! I have a question about the recipe for quiche, as the swiss Chard recipe calls for double the amounts. I am wondering if this will be enough for the crust or if the swiss chard recipe would be too much filling??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used this same crust recipe for both recipes. This one I did in a tart pan, and the swiss chard recipe I used a pie plate and made the crust much taller than I did in the tart pan so I needed more filling. So the amount of filling will really depend on how tall you end up making the crust. If you're not sure, you can always start with the lesser amount, and if needed you can quick whip up a little more of the custard filling and pour it over. I hope this helps, and you enjoy the recipe!

      Delete