Sunday, November 8, 2015

Pumpkin Scones with Cranberries and Pecans

Scones are one of my absolute favorite breakfast treats, but they are one of those things I just don't seem to get around to making very often. I'm not really sure why, they are so easy to throw together. Truly, they come together in just minutes, and usually with just a few ingredients. So last week I finally managed to get my act together and whip up a batch of scones, and since it's November I decided on pumpkin scones with some cranberries and pecans. They came together in a jiffy and baked up beautifully. A perfectly delicious fall breakfast. 


Whenever I make scones I make sure that I have time to freeze the cut, unbaked scones for at least an hour or two, preferably overnight. I've found that this ensures the tallest, prettiest scones. To me a scone should rise nice and tall, I really do hate it when scones spread out and flat. But that's just my opinion, I'm sure some people out there like a flatter scone, to each their own.

Like I said, I filled these scones with dried cranberries and pecans but you can change that up if you'd like. Some dark chocolate would be wonderful, pumpkin seeds would be very fitting, or some other nut, walnuts or almonds maybe. Whatever you decide on you shouldn't be disappointed with this tasty fall treat. Grab a cup of coffee or tea and enjoy!




Pumpkin Scones with Cranberries and Pecans
Adapted from King Arthur Flour
Ingredients 
  • 1 3/8 cup (5.75 ounces) flour
  • 3 tablespoons (1 ounce) sugar
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 3/8 teaspoon salt
  • 3/8 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
  • 1/8 teaspoon allspice
  • 1/8 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
  • 4 tablespoons (2 ounces) butter
  • 1.25 ounces dried cranberries
  • 1 ounce raw pecans
  • 1/3 cup (2.75 ounces) pumpkin
  • 1 egg
Directions
In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and spices.

Work in the butter with a pastry blender or two forks just until the mixture is unevenly crumbly; it's okay for some larger chunks of butter to remain unincorporated. Stir in the cranberries and pecans.

In a separate mixing bowl, whisk together the pumpkin and egg till smooth. Add the pumpkin/egg to the dry ingredients and stir until all is moistened and holds together, trying not to overwork the dough.

Scrape the dough onto a lightly floured counter and shape into a 5-6" circle approximately 3/4" thick.
Slice the circle into 6 wedges and arrange the wedges on a parchment lined sheet pan. Brush each scone with milk, and sprinkle with coarse white sparkling sugar or cinnamon sugar if desired.

For best texture and highest rise, place the pan of scones in the freezer for 30 minutes, uncovered. While the scones are chilling, preheat the oven to 425°F.

Bake the scones for 20 to 24 minutes, or until they're golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center of one comes out clean, with no wet crumbs. 

Remove the scones from the oven, and serve warm. Wrap any leftovers airtight, and store at room temperature. Reheat very briefly in the microwave, if desired.

Yield: 6 Scones

6 comments:

  1. I made a lot of pumpkin recipes in October, but I didn't prepare a scone recipe. This sounds perfect! Pinned"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad I can help complete your pumpkin baked good repertoire, enjoy!

      Delete
  2. Definitely pinning this to my "I heart pumpkin" board, I can see having this for breakfast Thanksgiving morning :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooooh, perfect! What a wonderful idea! Have a blessed Thanksgiving!

      Delete
  3. Hi! Sound yummy & healthy! How can I subscribe to your blog? I don't see a link :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mais! Thanks for stopping by, and thanks for pointing this out to me. I've added a subscribe button on the sidebar. Please let me know if it doesn't work, thanks!

      Delete