Monday, March 31, 2014

Cherry Almond Buttermilk Bread

I seem to be posting a lot of buttermilk recipes lately. Too much buttermilk, what a happy problem to have. I found this recipe for basic buttermilk quick bread with variations on The Kitchn and wanted to give it a try. Since I had a couple of jars of canned cherries in the basement I decided to throw those in along with a little almond extract. I would have added some chopped almonds too but I didn't have any. Add a simple glaze to the top and you're done, quick and easy. This bread is nice for a quick snack, or along with your breakfast. It's not rich or super sweet, but sometimes that's okay. 



Like I said, this bread is definitely bread, it is not cake masquerading under the title of bread. It's heartier less sweet than cake and a lot of quick breads. Sometimes this is perfect, just what I need. I liked the addition of cherries and a glaze to add some sweetness, but you can also make the bread savory too and add in herbs and cheeses, peppers or onions, just about whatever you can think of. Check out the link for some ideas. It's a nice, versatile recipe to have on hand in case you need it.




Cherry Almond Buttermilk Bread
Adapted from The Kitchn
Ingredients
For the Bread
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup white sugar
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup buttermilk
  • 1 large egg
  • 1/4 cup vegetable oil
  • 1 teaspoon almond extract
  • 1 jar of canned cherries, drained, mixed with a tablespoon or two of flour
For the Glaze
  • 1/2 cup powdered sugar
  • a couple teaspoons cherry juice (or water)
Directions
Heat the oven to 350°F. Grease or spray with nonstick cooking spray a standard 9x5 loaf pan.

Whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a medium mixing bowl. In a separate bowl whisk together buttermilk, egg and vegetable oil.

Pour the liquid ingredients over the dry ingredients. Gently stir and fold the ingredients until all the flour has been incorporated and a shaggy, wet batter is formed, adding in the cherries towards the end of mixing. Be careful not to over-mix.

Scrape the batter into the prepared pan and pat it into the corners. Bake for 45-50 minutes. When finished, the loaf should be domed and golden, and a toothpick inserted into the center should come out clean. Let the loaf cool in the pan for 15 minutes before removing and slicing.

Wrap baked loaves tightly in plastic wrap and store at room temperature. Baked loaves can also be wrapped in plastic and aluminum foil and frozen for up to three months.

2 comments:

  1. I love your healthy recipe. I just replaced a cup of flour with a cup of almond flour and added 1/4 tsp of ginger. The bread didn't come out as fluffy looking as yours but it tasted good. I couldn't taste the ginger I added, maybe next time I'll put in crystallized ginger. Thank you for sharing this tasty and pretty bread recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crystallized ginger sounds like a wonderful idea, I think I'll have to give that a try! Also, a little almond flour sounds like a great substitution, maybe that's why yours didn't turn out quite as fluffy? I'm glad it tasted good though. I too love to make healthier recipes that taste great too, it's a winning combination!

      Delete