Sunday, November 9, 2014

Salted Chocolate Espresso Cookies

Chocolate chip cookies, always a winner and my go-to dessert when I'm stuck in a rut and can't decide what to make. Even though I think I have dozens of chocolate chip cookie recipes, and I think they are all delicious, it's always fun to try something new. When I saw these cookies they just called to me. The addition of a hint of espresso as well as some whole wheat flour sounded like the perfect combination of bitterness and nuttiness to help these cookies stand out. And I was right, another winner for my chocolate chip cookie collection. They turned out slightly soft and gooey in the center with a touch of crunch around the edge. I love the combination of espresso and chocolate that brings a bit of sophistication and complexity to a simple cookie. 

I didn't have a chance to chill the dough for these cookies before I baked them because I needed them quickly. Otherwise I always chill the dough which I think helps bring the flavor together and helps them bake up just a little bit nicer. No big deal if you don't have the time, but always a nice touch. It would probably make them bake up a bit puffier, not spread quite as much. But either way, they will be delicious!





Salted Chocolate Chunk Cookies
From Pastry Affair
Ingredients
  • 1/2 cup (113 grams, 1 stick) butter, room temperature
  • 2/3 cup (150 grams) brown sugar, packed
  • 1/3 cup (75 grams) granulated sugar
  • 1 large egg
  • 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons espresso powder
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup (125 grams) all-purpose flour
  • 2/3 cup (88 grams) whole wheat flour
  • 4 ounces (113 grams) bittersweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
  • Fleur de sel or flaked sea salt, for sprinkling (not table salt)
Directions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C).

In a large mixing bowl, beat together the butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Add the egg and vanilla extract and continue beating until smooth. Gradually add the espresso powder, baking soda, salt, and flours, mixing until uniform. Stir in the chopped chocolate chunks.

Form cookies using 2 tablespoons of cookie dough (or 1 tablespoon for standard sized cookies). Drop onto a cookie sheet and sprinkle lightly with fleur de sel. Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until lightly browned. Allow the cookies to rest on the cookie sheet for a few minutes before transferring to a cooling rack to cool completely.

Yields: 9 large (75 gram) cookies

No comments:

Post a Comment